Read this blog post to find out our review for the best disposable and washable anti-pollution smog masks available in India for PM2.5/10 particulate matter.
While looking at smog masks the first thing to keep in mind is the various technical terms that are used while selling masks. The most important ones to keep in mind are:
- N 95/99 – What % of the particulate matter is filtered out? For most purposes N95 should suffice your mask needs.
- PM 2.5/10 – These are the particulate matter you mostly want to focus on since these are ones high in numbers in the urban areas where you will be using them
When it comes to evaluating and reviewing the best smog masks out there we look at the following criteria:
- Best standards (certifications of the manufacturers)
- Best fit (how much can the masks be adjusted to fit your face)
- Reusability (Washable / Disposable)
A big NOTE on reusable masks. The main part of the mask that filters the air is usually a filtering layer which can be replaced in these masks. This filter CANNOT BE WASHED. So when you are buying a reusable mask what you are buying is the ability to wash the non-filter part from the daily dirt and grime. Do replace the filters almost as frequently as you would throw our the disposable masks. 100 hours of use is a safe point at which the filter will need to be replaced.
Look at the two summaries below to find the top smog masks we have compared and evaluated. The two main categories are disposable masks (use and throw) vs. reusable (can be reused up to a point with washing).
Our top pick in disposable masks – The Dettol Siti Shield mask which comes with the European certification (CE). We chose this smog mask because of it’s cloth based look and feel, the European certification and reasonable price (2 Rupees per hour of use).
Dettol Siti Shield N95 Anti Smog Pollution Mask – Pack of 5
For a budget pick the 3M masks are great as well.
Our top pick in reusable masks is the PureMe masks. We have to say that none of the reusable masks wowed us but for daily commuters a reusable mask is a lot better (and less wasteful) option.
PureMe Reusable N95 Anti Pollution Mask (4 filters)
A few disclaimers and things to keep in mind:
- The most important part of the mask is FIT, FIT, FIT – if there is air leaking from above or below the mask is useless. There should be a neat fit around your cheeks. You can look at our helpful blog posts around how to get a great fit of your mask for help.
- None of these masks are appropriate for children. Look for a smaller sized mask for children older than 7. There are no good masks for children under 7 because they cannot breathe hard enough to pull air through the filter. We will share more helpful tips for younger children later.
- Lastly, if you exercise look for a mask with an exhalation valve to push the air out when you are huffing and puffing. A mask without an exhalation valve will make your workout pretty painful or smogful.
Our detailed comparisons below: